Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fruit Buns.


Thomas and I are having fun with a bread machine.You can see some of the results above.

{We have a bread machine on loan, while a friend is away in Texas until March next year.}

Yesterday, we made fruit buns. Very delicious.

I used to make these a lot, during my Earth Mother~Little House on the Prairie stage.

Yes, I had an Earth Mother~Little House stage, when Thomas was a baby. I made nearly everything from scratch. I tried sewing and crafts. I tried the simple life. It was not very simple.

And it was so not me.

We had fun, however, making the buns yesterday - here is our recipe ( of sorts).

Start with a batch of once risen bread dough - white, whole grain, soy and linseed, your choice.

Roll out to a rectangle. Lightly spray the dough with cooking spray. Sprinkle the dough with chopped dried fruit, sultanas, nuts, grated apple - any or several of these. We used sultanas and chopped nuts.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, to your taste.

Roll up, slice. Place slices, cut side up, in a baking tray that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Leave to rise 10 minutes. Bake at 180 Celsius for about 20 minutes.

Yummy hot or cold, with or without butter or margarine.

7 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

Why must those buns be on the other side of the world?! I would like to sample one right now!

Leonie said...

lol, Alice.They were pretty delish, and we still have leftovers. :-)

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I agree with you! My whole family got sucked into that Simple~Little House thing and ended up on a farm, horrifying! They (two sisters are still at home) are living in Hawaii now and I'm in the Florida Keys, but I suppose I could still milk a goat if I have too! ;)

Cindy said...

The buns sound great Leonie.. I am going to try them this week. This is my week to experiement with recipes with dh traveling.. and us dogsitting each night so dinner is eclectic. The buns are a go! Feel i have to since the mom of the bread machine is in Texas.. somehow it is my duty. lol

Yes.. we are not really little house either. My boys don't look good in bonnets. :)

But I like to try and get closer to nature when we can, and homemade bread works for us!

BTW, what are sultanas? Something close to bananas?

I 'll let you know how ours turn out! Thanks for the recipe!

Leonie said...

Jennifer - I smiled when I read your post. Its funny that we sometimes feel we have to make ourselves fit a mould - I envy you all now - Hawaii and Florida Keys! I love the beach.

Cindy - so, your dh runs the bread machine? I am thinking of buying one, next year when I have to return my friend's. :-)

You don't have sultanas?? Similar to raisins....

Anonymous said...

These look great....inspired me to do something else besides just BREAD with my machine! I forget all that it can do!

Leonie said...

Yeah, bread machines are fun!