Thursday, January 29, 2009

St Thomas Aquinas.

Feel a bit bad about debating the merits of St Thomas' writing yesterday. I am hardly a sage.

Anyway, found this prayer for chastity, from St Thomas. Very helpful. Intend to share it with the kids..

And pray myself. I mean, we are all called to practice some degree of self control. I can't be with my dh whenever I want ( damn!) - I have to consider his needs, too. And am not free to look at others..

Do you know the story of St. Thomas chasing away a temptress from his room ?

And - the prayer?
Dearest Jesus! I know well that every perfect gift, and above all others that of chastity, depends upon the most powerful assistance of Thy Providence, and that without Thee a creature can do nothing. Therefore, I pray Thee to defend, with Thy grace, chastity and purity in my soul as well as in my body. And if I have ever received through my senses any impression that could stain my chastity and purity, do Thou, Who art the Supreme Lord of all my powers, take it from me, that I may with an immaculate heart advance in Thy love and service, offering myself chaste all the days of my life on the most pure altar of Thy Divinity. Amen. -St. Thomas Aquinas

No comments: