Saturday, May 23, 2009

Working it hard with the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Working it hard. Giving myself very little leeway.

It came to me this week that I needed to learn self control. Self control in a couple of areas.

One of which is the area of eating habits.

It came to me this week that, instead of always hating the way I look, I could practise more self control and do something about it.

I always work it hard when it comes to exercise. But I have been skipping meals, eating junk. And it shows .


So I am praying. One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is continency or control. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are one of the effects of the gifts of the Holy Spirit .The power of the Holy Spirit enables us to do things that may be, or may seem to be, humanly impossible.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, 23 Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences. Galations 5:22-24

Continency is control over impure desires.

Well, maybe my bad eating habits aren't really impure, if you get my drift, but they do show lack of self control.

So, I'm working it hard to get rid of some of this chubbiness. Chubby looks good, even cute, on some people, but not on me. Cute is not me. I am not cute. There are many things I can't change about my looks and my health but I can change this. To be a bit less chubby, at least!

It came to me this week that I can plan some of my eating; I can watch portions; I can be more mindful of calories.

And so I have. With prayer. Already I feel better ... I don't look any better, that is a difficult task, but how one feels is a terribly important part of the wellness equation, to my mind.

I have even seen a loss of weight on the scale.

One of the FIRM instructors, on a FIRM workout DVD, says , while doing an aerobic step move, Getting down with the fanny lifter!

This always makes me laugh.

And so I'm changing it to Working it hard with the fruits of the Holy Spirit!

At least this makes me laugh! Out loud.


No comments: