Saturday, May 23, 2009

What to eat for the Ascension?

I like to do something special for solemnities and feast days - forging memories of the liturgical year .

Next Sunday is Pentecost and I know we will do a repeat of last year's successful (Twelve Fruit) Fruit Salad.

So, I searched for something different for dinner for the Ascension.

Chicken. Baked chicken with baked vegetables and risotto.

Why chicken?

It was a widespread custom in many parts of Europe during the Middle Ages to eat a bird on Ascension Day, because Christ "flew" to heaven. Pigeons, pheasants, partridges, and even crows, graced the dinner tables. In western Germany bakers and innkeepers gave their customers pieces of pastry made in the shapes of various birds. The Easter Book by Fr. Weiser

My family teased me, because chickens don't fly.
But chickens are birds!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Leonie, chickens do fly! not for very long but they can escape from thier coops. They also need to get to roosting boxes and perches which are up off the ground.

Leonie said...

Yay! I was right!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Chickens work for me, baby!

Leonie said...

Woo hoo! :-)