Monday, May 11, 2009

Lost


Lost.
Lost in the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church on Mother's Day..or is it hiding from the camera?

Lost.
Lost in a kitchen dilemma - wtf??these are what?..I was given a flour sifter and a meat tenderiser for Mother's Day, a gift from one-who-shall-not-be-named. I never, ever have owned either..I obviously never sift flour when baking ( who does?). Fun presents - made us laugh!


Lost.
The kids were lost when they saw the presents. I asked Thomas if he knew what this was ( the flour sifter) He looked blank - uh, no! And I told Greg I had been given a meat tenderiser - he said I've heard of those but never seen one..
I had a kitchen-ish Mother's Day...a food processor from dh ( well, I bought it, but with his blessing..); a rice cooker from the kids and the above presents from a friend ( no, I am NOT this friend's mother)...The kids cooked dinner...Very much needed and very much appreciated after a lot of junk mail delivery and with my cold and cough making me feel less than stellar...A fun Mother's Day, even if kitchen-ish!
Lost.
Lost in Austen, lost in books and movies..
Our current book basket - Jane Austen novels, after watching Lost in Austen and visiting some Jane Austen-like gardens on a nature walk at Fagan Park; the St Joseph Baltimore Catechsim, opened to the page of the gifts and fruits of the Holy Ghost, after Fr's homily yesterday; my missal so we can pray the Litany of Our Lady for May.
Lost. Lost in books, and sometimes the books melt into real life..When I first read The Magician’s Nephew by C S Lewis as a child, I was always on the search for a door on the attic that would lead to another room, another world...Then when I read From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by E L Konigsburg at age 12, I spent years looking for “good places to hide out in”, especially at museums...reading My Side of the Mountain by Jean George made the kids and I, for many years, try to find trees we could make into homes..and watching Lost in Austen last night made me say that “I’m off looking for those doors” ( doors to the book world)...Jonathon thought that was a blonde moment and a blonde comment but, hey, books make, have made, my life..Sometimes, who can tell where the book ends and real life begins?

2 comments:

molly said...

Happy Mothers Day!

Hopewell said...

That's a relief-- I was afraid of another "Lost" the tv show recap! FYI--I do use my flour sifter to make what are called "biscuits" here. They go with sausage gravy for breakfast [or in the fast food world with bacon, egg & cheese as a sandwich] or with butter and honey at dinner. I at least have to sift the flour to keep these turning out like hockey pucks!However the sifter tends to remain on the kitchen window sill from washing for...oh, long enough that it blends into the scenery! Meat tenderizer is normally used to break up bagged ice or, if I don't buy cubed steaks, to tenderize roundsteak to make "swiss steak". Sounds like you had a fun "Mother's Day".....