Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leonie


Leonie. The sister of St Therese of the Child Jesus.

An internet friend sent me a copy of the book God Made the Violet Too, a life of Leonie. Thank you, you know who who are! Very generous!

Ever since reading The Story of a Family, when pregnant with youngest son Anthony, I have been interested in Leonie.

The Story of a Family tells of the Martin family, parents of St Therese. Zelie and Louis Martin will be canonized in October.

Leonie was a difficult child, and struggled with religious life as an adult, entering and leaving and re-entering the convent several times..

I have been called a difficult child ( even a wild child, as an adult!) so I definitely have a soft spot for my namesake.

Leonie's mother, Zelie Martin, wrote of child raising and of raising a child that seems more wayward than others. She wrote ~ Brutality never reformed anyone; it only makes slaves.

Wow. I agree. The importance of love and of free will and of guidance, not of physical punishment.

I can see I am going to enjoy this book - I've read about one quarter of it so far...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Leonie,

I am so glad that you are reading another book about Leonie Martin. Please visit my Web site about St. Therese at http://thereseoflisieux.org It has films and articles about St. Therese and about her parents and their beatification, and it links to a "spiritual newsletter" about Leonie and to several sites with information about her.

I see that Rumer Godden is your favorite author; she is a top favorite of mine too!

molly said...

I love reading Zelie Martins attitude about helping Leonie, as only a mother can. I need to read this book, as youknow I have a soft spot for the Marin family.

PS Rumer Godden is my all time favorite author as well.