Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Near the candles and the flowers


Near the candles and the flowers, on our dining table, sits a book, a saint's biography on St Thomas Aquinas.


For the teens. For tomorrow.


I thought we might pray these prayers...after the orthodontist and before Maths and Latin and before the myriad of things that make up our daily lists.


A Student’s Prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas


Creator of all things, true source of light and wisdom, origin of all being, graciously penetrate the darkness of my understanding. Take from me the double darkness in which I have been born, an obscurity of sin and ignorance. Give me a keen understanding, a retentive memory, and the ability to grasp things correctly and fundamentally. Grant me the talent of being exact in my explanations and the ability to express myself with thoroughness and charm. Point out the beginning, direct the progress, and help in the completion. I ask this through Christ our Lord.


Prayer for Purity by St. Thomas Aquinas


Dearest Jesus! I know well that every perfect gift, and above all others that of chastity, depends upon the most powerful assistance of Your Providence, and that without Thee a creature can do nothing. Therefore, I pray Thee to defend, with Thy grace, chastity and purity in my soul as well as in my body. And if I have ever received through my senses any impression that could stain my chastity and purity, do Thou, Who are the Supreme Lord of all my powers, take it from me, that I may with an immaculate heart advance in Thy love and service, offering myself chaste all the days of my life on the most pure altar of Thy Divinity.

1 comment:

Hopewell said...

I think we might try that Student's Prayer as well. Thanks for posting this!