Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saturday in the Octave of Easter


But Peter and John answered them, "Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge; for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard." Acts 4: 19-20


Thinking about liturgy today, during the octave of Easter. I started Lent with liturgical ponderings and am still here during Eastertide. ... We went to two masses, yesterday and today, with two different priests ; including mass in a different parish.


Both masses reverent. Catholic. No abuses. And yet....

Dh calls me a mass nazi, a liturgical nazi. It is probably true! I really, truly believe that worship is not about us, about wasn't that lovely, those warm fuzzy feelings...It is about God, first and foremost.

It is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Now, I tend to be a friendly talkative sort of person. I can gab with the best of 'em before and after mass. I try to welcome newcomers, to make others feel included, I look out for those who may be by themselves or look like they may need a smile or a listener.

But our mass, our worship, should be more, more than every day. It should lift us up.... to God.

I have been spoiled when it comes to liturgy, I know. I have participated in, prayed at masses that have been reverent, liturgically wonderful, no ad libbing, just the rubrics, the prayers, the faith. Masses in my parish church now, and when we lived in Western Australia.

I have a love for High Mass, too.

Why? This quote from Father Faber, priest of the Brompton Oratory in the 1800s, explains why...Fr. Faber described the Mass as the "most beautiful thing this side of heaven":

It came forth out of the grand mind of the Church, and lifted us out of earth and out of self, and wrapped us round in a cloud of mystical sweetness and the sublimities of a more than angelic liturgy, and purified us almost without ourselves, and charmed us with the celestial charming, so that our very senses seemed to find vision, hearing, fragrance, taste, and touch beyond what earth can give.

Emphasis (above) mine..

1 comment:

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Wow. That quote is a keeper...so true, so true.