Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday




Today is Holy Thursday. Maundy Thursday. A good day to take five minutes to reflect, to think about five things for which we are thankful. Or grateful. Or happy about.
My list ~


1. Maundy Thursday at church tonight. The word Maundy is derived through Middle English,
and Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum, the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John (13:34) by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet. The phrase is used as the antiphon sung during the "Mandatum" ceremony of the washing of the feet, which may be held during Mass or at another time as a separate event, during which a priest or bishop (representing Christ) ceremonially washes the feet of others.


2. The Chrism Mass of last night. The use of oil in ritual is ancient and widespread. There are many references to it in the scriptures, as in Psalm 33 (“..like sacred oil on the head flowing down Aaron’s beard to the collar of his robe”); “Christ” literally means “Anointed One”; the oil of chrism is used in coronation ceremonies.In the Catholic tradition three different oils are used – chrism for baptism, confirmation and ordination as well as for consecrating churches and altars; the oil of catechumens, as the name suggests, for baptism; the oil of the sick in the sacrament of anointing the sick.The Chrism Mass at which the oils are blessed and the chrism is consecrated (because chrism is used in the rites which impart a sacramental character) takes place in the cathedral towards the end of Lent so that they will be ready for the Easter sacraments.

3. I am feeling well - or at least, not unwell. A major breakthrough. I have had a difficult Lent, health-wise.

4. My dh and sons. And our parish. My family has been super, picking up the ball when I have been sick, helping in our parish with stuff for Palm Sunday and the Easter Tridium. And we are lucky to be given the opportunity to help out, to serve in our parish , hopefully giving back a little for the abundance that we have received.
I sound quite gentle and pious, don't I? Well, the next "thankful" item will change that perception ~ see, it really is all about me ( as one of my pyjama tops says...)!

5. A FIRM workout today. Weights and cardio, with step aerobics. Yay! I love to workout.

[The above pics? William Blake's Holy Thursday ( 1794) and the FIRM workout "Complete Aerobics and Weights" (2003).]

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, you do have so much to be thankful for. Very inspiring to hear and helps me see all I have, too.

Hope you continue to feel better and better----

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for my cyber sisters :-) Once again you put things into perspective for me!

Hugs from cool but sunny TX :-)

Leonie said...

Hi guys! Hope you have a blessed Good Friday and a happy Easter!