Thursday, June 26, 2008

Taebo and Discerning God's Will







Yesterday I got to do one of my Taebo workouts ~ with my doctor's permission. I did Taebo Ulitmate Upper Body -

Kickboxing with an upper body focus, for 60 minutes. Upper body focus = less pull on my abs and post surgery area.


I loved it! I could have worked out for another 30 minutes, but I showed restraint. And who has the time??


Sadly, I couldn't do my usual full push ups - they hurt my abs. So I did the push ups on my knees. But I know I'll work back up to full, big boy push ups eventually.


At the end, Billy gave his little motivational talk. Get Fit-Have Fun-Be Strong - Remember the Spirit.


Billy Blanks is a Christian. And his motivational talks reflect this. I was jumping around, dancing and smiling at Billy at the end of the workout and during his little talk.


And, so, yes, my workouts remind me of not doing this, my life, on my own strength but of relying on God.


How do I discern God's will? A friend recently posted, at the 4 Real Learning forum, some relevant excerpts from Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons.


God's Will in Your Life (page 62)


People often ask me, 'How do you know whether something is God's Will in your life?' I say, 'Ask me next year, and then we'll know whether it was God's Will.'


The Lord isn't going to come down and say, 'Now, look sweetie, I want you to do this little thing for me' He's not going to do that. He gave you a brain. He gave you a memory, an intellect, a will. Do you realize if you're a Christian, you have Sanctifying Grace in you? The Holy Spirit is in you. Pray. Move forward in His grace, and you will discover His Will for you.


Discerning God's Will for You (page 62-63)


You judge God's Will as follows:


(1) Does it violate any of the Commandments? Is it against the precepts of the Church?


(2) Will it give God honor and glory?


(3) Will it benefit my family and my spiritual life?


"That is how you can judge what God's will is for you. And sometimes we don't have clarity even with that. I would pray more at that point. I would ask Our Lord to give you light. If somehow along the way we miss it, He will make good out of your mistakes. You can depend on that.



Postscript on discerning God's will ~ dh has decided not to move but to stay in Sydney. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Leonie
SO glad you had such a great recovery from surgery and i for one am very happy you are staying in Sydney :D, things just wouldnt be the same without you all.
xo kristine

Anonymous said...

That was a very 'up' day! I know I would have had a great big goofy grin on my face after a day like that! :)

Cindy said...

Glad you are working out again.. and fun to see BB on your tv. He is very motivational.

Love your thoughts on discerning God's will. I always like MOther Angelica. No nonesense.

Someone also once said that it is easy to get stuck in a decision waiting to hear God's will. Many people just sit like a stone afraid to move. The advice was to start moving... but listen. See if doors are opened, if peace comes. Even if the path has sturggles, listen for the peace.

Great quotes you have listed...

Glad you are staying in Sydney!

One of these days I expect to see your family on the Househunters Internation show I watch sometimes! They show people looking for new houses and choosing between 3 houses and often they have Austrailians.... lol!

But I hope you all don't move for a long, long time.:)

Leonie said...

That Househunters show sounds interesting - never heard of it, though! lol!