Thursday, August 10, 2006

St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross ( Edith Stein)

August 9 is the Opional Memorial of Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

Also known as Edith Stein.

A convert to Catholicism . She died in Auschwitz.

She wrote - The teacher thus needs a basic education in dogma and asceticism. Apologetics is certainly also good, but the former seems more important to me: ready arguments, as right as they may be, often do not have penetrating force. But she whose soul is formed through the truths of faith -- and I call this ascetic formation -- finds words which are proper for this human being and for this moment respectively.


And also - Everywhere the need exists for maternal sympathy and help, and thus we are able to recapitulate in the one word motherliness that which we have developed as the characteristic value of woman. Only, the motherliness must be that which does not remain within the narrow circle of blood relations or of personal friends; but in accordance with the model of the Mother of Mercy, it must have its root in universal divine love for all who are there, belabored and burdened.

Very inspiring to this homeschooling, working mother.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Lovely, Leonie.

I registered Stephen (well really the whole family) for the online high school formation class on www.catechismclass.com

One thing I really like is that each day they have the saint of the day (according to liturgial year) with a short bio. This is so good for me as being a convert I did not grow up with the saints, so I am getting a survey course in them.

Yesterday was (as you know) Edith Stein. I feel so drawn to her and your quotes are beautiful. Do you know of any good links to her writings?

And, yes, it makes me feel I understand even more my maternal role. Not just with my kids, but the world. Sometimes people just need a 'mom' to understand them and let them share and just be. As Dr. Phil says.. "a soft place to fall".

Leonie said...

So, what does the catechism class entail? Sounds interesting.

A number of Edith Stein's writings are online. Or critiques, with references to her works. Some examples -

works of Edith Stein

life and texts of edith stein

quotes at Wikipedia

Wikipedia article on Edith Stein