Thursday, February 21, 2008

Update on "OMG! Should I Share My Journey?"


Friends have asked about weight loss - how did I get from there to here.

I wrote briefly about this at the 4 real learning forum but thought I'd cut and paste it here. Permission to Skip if bored. ( Hey, I know I am boring).

Basically, I started with little steps - I realized I couldn't go on a diet, been there, done that. Instead, I worked on ( work on) body image and healthy eating and healthy exercise. For me, it was a five year journey, but at least it has been lifestyle changes. Six years ago, I was obese, now I am "normal" and this is now my way of life. I remind myself -It takes time and is a process so don't beat yourself up over slips along the way - this is for life, right?

My first step was walking. I had just come out of hospital, after a messy miscarriage and deep vein thrombosis, and had been on bed rest so could only walk 15 minutes a day. But I started where I was.

Same with food. I knew what I needed to do - I researched some low fat meal ideas, made a list of ideas for meals and snacks and "treats" and tried to watch portions.

And I read ( still read) books like "Intuitive Eating" to work on the mind stuff often associated with food and body image and diets, for women.

And then I gradually added in changes from there.

I used to weigh only monthly at the beginning. To break the scale and number addiction. Now I weigh once or twice a week.

And I continue on step by step. It is life, there is not an end but simply what I do each and every day that makes a difference. Some days are great. Others are not so good. It is okay, I keep on moving on. Working on my health and fitness and weight and body image neuroses.

Neuroses? When you have been obese, it is hard to see yourself as normal. Even when your BMI says that you are. Every now and then I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window and I wonder who that person is. That person who looks a normal weight, well, maybe a bit chunky. Then I remember it is me!

And because of my anorexic history I know I need to avoid diets - a dictum like no carbs is likely to send me over the edge.

Little by little. Step by step.

Have patience with all things, But, first of all with yourself. Saint Francis de Sales

( And that really IS a St Francis de Sales quote. ) Family joke.
P.S. The Superhero pic? I am the Geen Lantern according to this Which Superhero Are You? Quiz.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not boring at all.

Cindy said...

Wonderful story, Leonie.

And I had heard that... that for a long time after a significant weight loss that the person doesn't recognize themself. It takes a while to get settled in and get used to the physical self in the mirror.

You are beautiful inside and out.

Cindy

Hopewell said...

Not boring--but what I needed to hear. Start where you are. Like the stairs at the parking garage each night instead of the elevator. Like putting 80% of the cheese back in the bag instead of on my nachos!
Thanks for sharing!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Ditto what Cindy said!

Plus, I'm Spiderman!

Leonie said...

Hi Spiderman!
Some of my kids were Spiderman, too!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

You crack me up, Green Lantern!

mumsdancing said...

You are NEVER boring. This is so inspiring.
So I know where the weight you lost went..you only have to look at me!
Any ideas how I can go walking again when my weight causes my feet to ache after a few minutes and I have to come back home? ):