Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where would I be?


Where would I be without the rosary?

When I became a Catholic, I had been praying the rosary faithfully for about a year. I had found comfort, solace, in the prayers and meditation.

And now, when things worry me, when I slip and fall so many many times,when I see how pathetic I am..when I take the easy way out and acquiesce to the not-so-good instead of standing my ground..then I turn to prayer. Again. I pray. The rosary.

When I finish my rosary, I always find upon looking up that the world has just for a moment a special lambent quality, a nostalgic softness - as if I have caught my Mother gazing upon me and seeing me as the child I once was. knitting the wind

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Luke 1:28 "And coming to her, he said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you."

Blessed art thou among women

Luke 1:41-42a "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women..."

Luke 1:48 "For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed."

Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Luke 1:42b "and blessed is the fruit of your womb."

Holy Mary, Mother of God

Luke 1:43 "And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Pray for me, dear Mother, and that I overcome, with grace, my besetting sins. And I continue to pray for others, for those I love and care for, for those who ask and for those for whom I feel that tug, that tug telling me to pray ...

My life has been tumultuous and there was a long time when I believed in very little at all. But even a few minutes of praying the rosary brings me into a sense that someone has a sense of continuity for my life, that someone has been believing on my behalf the whole time. knitting the wind

The power of the rosary is beyond description Archbishop Fulton Sheen
Postscript - the silver beads above belonged to my mother-in-law. They are now in the hands of one of my sons. Sweet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leonie I never knew you became catholic ;-)
however truely I'm sure you deep down know you were really made one and didn't have to become one
Leonie your Love for Our Lord and Lady is so very clear . This Love shines in you and through you .
I feel blessed He has shared you my sister in Christ with me ;-)
Love to You Leonie

Leonie said...

lol Roxie - and thank you!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

I, too, love the Rosary. Next to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, it is my favorite prayer!

I sleep with my Rosary so if I awaken in the night, I am comforted and can pray!

Leonie said...

Oh, that's NICE, Maria!