Friday, August 17, 2007

Unschooling and Planning











Kim of Starry Sky Ranch is hosting a blog fair - the Loveliness of Lesson Planning.

Lesson planning? Unschooling?

You are right. The two don't seem to mix. And to be frank and totally honest, I will start this post with an admission ~ I don't do lesson planning.

Even when I was teaching in schools, my lesson plans were minimal. Barebones.
Even when I teach at Homechool Group Learning my lesson plans are minmal. Barebones.

I like to be open to the teaching moment, as John Holt would say. To serendiptiy.

ser·en·dip·i·ty (srn-dp-t)
n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties
1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.


Our unschooling is serendipitous.


We do, however, have learning and living routines. And our routines and learning lifestyle start with ideas.

I like to gather ideas for our learning adventures. I look at the usual school documents, at kids' interests, and at the liturgical year. At life.

Here is where the book "A Continual Feast" is a big help...

As are the sampling of other books shown above.

And websites such as ~

Catholic Culture
Waldorf Family Network




Then, things just come up ~ serendipitiously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm with you. I don't lesson plan either. Oh I try to choose good, worthwhile ideas and books to put before my children. I consider their needs at the present time but also for the future. I pray and lean on the Holy Spirit. And that's it!

But as you know, I haven't always been that way. Oh the struggles, the pains, the headaches I have caused myself over lesson planning. Whew, I'm really kinda comfortable in my own skin now. I think that's a good thing.

but I'm still going to pop over and look at the post. There's always something else to learn or glean or be encouraged in ~smile~

Leonie said...

Susan, you sound like you are in a comfortable place. We choose books and life and learning ( lesson plans? records?) follow!

Jane Ramsey said...

Leonie,
When I was teaching, I absolutely hated lesson plans. I would do them, because it was required, but usually did not follow them! I'm sure it will be the same now that I'm homeschooling. I have a rough schedule for the week, but I think most of our learning will be serendipitous! (love that word!)

Leonie said...

We sound pretty similar, Jane. I loved reading about your plans on your blog, btw!