Monday, August 17, 2009

What Saint said that?

When times go bad
When times go rough
Won't you lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff?
Fleetwood Mac, Secondhand news

Listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album yesterday, one of my happy albums.

And I thought of changing the chorus above ~

When times go bad
When times go rough
Won't you quote St Francis de Sales and let him do his stuff?



Well, I hope that is not too irreligious.


Our family has a thing for St Francis de Sales and the many quotes attributed to him.


Saint Francis de Sales 1567 – 1622 was Bishop of Geneva . He was an accomplished preacher. He is known also for his writings on the topic of spiritual direction and spiritual formation, particularly Introduction to the Devout Life. St Francis de Sales was the spiritual director of St Jane de Chantel, founder of the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, a religious order for women. I used to have a bit of a mis-trust of St Jane whilst liking St Francis and the two did not seem to go together in my mind ~ but, in recent years, I think I have come to understand St Jane and her choices better.


Quotes from St Francis de Sales?


Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.


Can I be both strong and gentle?


Friendships begun in this world will be taken up again, never to be broken off.


Very apt.


The test of a preacher is that his congregation goes away saying, not 'What a lovely sermon' but, 'I will do something!'


We listened to a homily like this last night..

No comments: