Monday, August 03, 2009

Happy songs, happy discussions

What are your happy songs? Somgs that make you feel happy?

We had this discussion in the car. One of my happy songs is this Credo ( weird, I know); Abba's Ring Ring and Fleetwood Mac's Secondhand News.

Alexander reminded me that the Fleetwood Mac song has sad lyrics ( I know theres nothing to say Someone has taken my place ) but to me it is a happy song - boppy music, and I have a soft spot, a smile, for the chorus, ( When times go bad When times go rough Wont you lay me down in tall grass And let me do my stuff. ).

Even weirder I know. To go from Credo in unum Deum to Ring! Ring! Why Don't Give Me a Call? and then to Lay me down in the tall grass...

Well, the discussion was interesting, any way. One of the things I will always love, always remember about homeschooling. The range and variety of discussions that we have, have had. This weekend - on indulgences, on spiritual perfection and arguing about St Alphonsus de' Liguori and on happy songs.

One of the things that I love most about unschooling is all the cool and wonderful connections that are made in the interactions of daily life, the way one thing leads to another until you've followed a path of interesting things to some new and exciting place.......We might not be taking the linear path: Little Red Riding Hood leads to Frog and Toad, which leads to Harry Potter, and sometime when you hit college you might get to Beowulf (unless you encounter it in a high school AP English class, at which point you may or may not be interested in what it has to offer). But the path we're taking is always engaging and fascinating, always relevant, and always feels like an exciting adventure through the accumulated knowledge of the universe.
Robin's Blue Skies

5 comments:

Chris said...

I love the Songs Hold on for one more day by Wilson Phillips, Jump by Van Halen and It is well with my soul by Horatio Spafford. I find these songs uplifting or energizing.

Anonymous said...

Walking on Sunshine! That song is so zippy that it always makes me feel better!

Leonie said...

Chris, I know you LOV Jump! JUMP!! Oh, and yes, Walking on Sunshine is fun..so is Karma Chameleon, come to think of it..

Stephanie said...

Karen Carpenter, On the top of the world looking down on creation ( not sure of the title but that is the first line.

Leonie said...

Oh, yes, now I am bopping along to that song (mentally, of course!)