Wednesday, August 19, 2009

To sleep, perchance to dream


As Hamlet would say..Aye, there's the rub!

The rub being what it is one dreams of...Hamlet was talking of eternal rest but I am talking ordinary, daily sleep . Finding it to be too dream-y.

Too dream-y?

Have you ever had a recurring dream? A dream, that when one is asleep and dreaming seems real, and one wakes up, startled, only to eventually realise that the experience was just a dream. And, freakily enough, not only a dream but a dream you have dreamed before.
I woke up at one forty-five this morning, sobbing. I started. I breathed a sigh of relief as I remembered that the memories were only of a dream. Virtual, not real life.

Phew.

Then I had a cold shiver moment, as I remembered that the events of the dream were the same events if a dream two days ago, and of a dream last week.

Different nights, different people in my dream, but the same circumstances. The same room, the same corridor, the same physical abuse..but each dream had different people hurting me.

Real people, not dream people, people I know in real life, each doing the same thing but different people each dream.

Very freaky.

The kids and I have discussed weird dreams, recurring dreams, had a laugh about some of their dreams.

Everything, even dreams, can be an unschooling moment, you know!

I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each others dreams, we can be together all the time. Hobbes, from Calvin and Hobbes

We love the comic Calvin and Hobbes! Anthony learned to read, at ages four to five, on Calvin and Hobbes ( and Snoopy and the computer game Civilization and those old Ladybird readers..).

Greg, Thomas and I laughed at the above quote. So funny, so cute!

But I certainly don't want to spend more time with those people in my dreams! Ouch!

Anyway, this recurring dream has sent us on a little rabbit trail on quotes on dreams, how dreams work, psychology, Shakespeare...

No comments: