Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Fair Lady











Our agenda for today. An excursion , with other homeschoolers, to see the musical, the stage show production of My Fair Lady. at the Theatre Royal. Super!

Professor Henry Higgins: I know your head aches; I know you're tired; I know your nerves are as raw as meat in a butcher's window. But think what you're trying to accomplish. Think what you're dealing with. The majesty and grandeur of the English language, it's the greatest possession we have. The noblest thoughts that ever flowed through the hearts of men are contained in its extraordinary, imaginative, and musical mixtures of sounds. And that's what you've set yourself out to conquer Eliza. And conquer it you will.

Eliza Doolittle: The difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Of course the ending is a bit too much to bear... :)
I can't remember if the musical includes Higgins' obsession with Milton that he got from his mother, but interestingly in the introduction to Pygmalion (if my memory serves) GBS said that the depiction of Higgins and Higgins' mother was very similar to his own.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you...
It's been forever since I've seen a good production.

Leonie said...

The bit with Milton is from Pygmalion- and, yes, Thomas and Anthony prefer the ending in that ( with Freddy) rather than the ending in the musical ( with Higgins). They had their usual hue and cry about chauvinism and how rude Higgins was - get me my slippers! lol!

It was a lot of fun, Jennifer.

Hopewell said...

Great quotes! We might just have to request the dvd or video from the library!