Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Making cookies ~ and maths




Don’t make cookies to teach math. Make cookies because they taste good.
My Five Best Homeschooling Tips




I love this quote. It paints a picture of how I feel I should live, as an unschooler. Interested in life, yes. Learning and teaching naturally, yes. But avoiding those overly contrived situations. Avoiding making everything a teachable moment.

Everything IS a teachable moment. We don't have to contrive to make it so.

Sometimes, just living together is what we need. What counts.

6 comments:

Theresa said...

Absolutely! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I love this quote. Down with unit studies and contrived experiences that really don't do much for the child at all- or at least not nearly as much as the effort spent would warrant.

Let them make their own links! And enjoy cookies for what they are- yummy things.

Pam

Anonymous said...

I especially enjoy the butterscotch cookies. God bless-brlouis

Leonie said...

Cookies == yummy things! Definitely! And Br - I remembet those butterscotch cookies Thomas made..now what recipe were they ??

A modern day Essene said...

This comment is one of those moments when my brain is ticking over, absorbing the words and then saying "YES". Thanks for sharing!

Leonie said...

Wow. I know that ah! feeling..