Monday, July 19, 2010

Fun, Fun, Fun


"We're gonna have fun, fun, fun.."

I'm having a lot of fun lately. I have been dying, panting, sweating, groaning..in my family room..in front of the DVD player...doing some new, tough workouts.

I workout regularly, it is who I am. I workout for health, for fitness, to keep my weight in check and for personal me-time, de-stress time, fun time.

I decided that it was time to get some new workouts . My workout time had become mundane. Blah even. I thought some new workout DVDs would rekindle my passion.

And they have! I have bought about six new workout DVDs; many of these have several workouts on the DVD. I am in fitness DVD heaven!

Today, I worked my way through Ten Days To A Better Body - high impact intervals; alternating one minute cardio and one minute strength for the whole workout. There are two workouts - an upper body and abs circut workout and a lower body and abs circuit workout. The upper body in particular is a killer. Puke-in-a-bucket workout for sure! ( You know, that feeling when you have pushed yourself almost too far...I've talked about it here before.).

Yep, puke-in-a-bucket workouts. That's what my friends at the VF Video Fitness internet forum call hard workouts, workouts that may push you a little to the edge, that may make you want to puke. Barf. Vomit. Pass out.

Call me masochistic but I
love those sort of workouts. Yes, they may (sometimes) have a high dread factor for me but, I feel a great sense of accomplishment when the workout is over. I feel like an athlete, like it is so worth the pain. And I can't wait to do the workout again!

It does sound masochistic, doesn't it? But there is something liberating about rising to the challenge and seeing what one can achieve physically. Those endorphins last! (As does the muscle soreness..that delicious feeling of muscle soreness the next morning, when you climb out of bed, after the previous day's tough workout).

This morning, my alarm went early. So I could get up and get ready for morning Mass. As I rolled out of bed in the dark, dark, cold, cold morning, I felt, really felt, my abs, my backside, my arms. Ouch!

The muscle soreness came from yesterday's workout...Tracy Anderson, the trainer of Madonna and of Gwynneth Paltrow. The killer abs and lower body section from Perfect Design and the tough arms from her Mat Workout.

As Jane Fonda used to say, in those old Jane Fonda workouts ~ Feel the burn.

No comments: