Sunday, April 25, 2010

It is Good Shepherd Sunday

And we pray for vocations.

As I have said before.... The vocation to the priesthood is bound with the vocation to marriage.

A story is told of the future Pope Pius X, visiting his 70-year-old mother after being ordained a bishop. She kissed her son’s ring and, suddenly became pensive, looked at her wedding band and said, You would not be wearing that ring if I had not first worn mine. Pope St. Pius X confirmed that experience with his comment Every vocation to the priesthood comes from the heart of God, but it goes through the heart of a mother!

And so I pray the prayer of the mothers of Lu (from my blog's sidebar) ~ Oh God, grant that one of my sons may become a priest. I myself want to live as a good Christian and want to guide my children always to do what is right, so that I may receive the grace, O God, to be allowed to give you a holy priest! Amen.

I was struck by this part of the Holy Father's message... In July 2005, speaking to the clergy of Aosta, I noted that if young people see priests who appear distant and sad, they will hardly feel encouraged to follow their example. They will remain hesitant if they are led to think that this is the life of a priest. Instead, they need to see the example of a communion of life which can reveal to them the beauty of being a priest. Only then will a young man say, “Yes, this could be my future; I can live like this”

We have been blessed to know priests and religious who live out their vocations with joy, with love. They have encouraged us, my family, my husband and my sons..have encouraged me, in particular, in my vocation.

As Bishop Anthony Fisher, Bishop of our Diocese of Parramatta, said in his message for Good Shepherd Sunday ..

The Church makes the Eucharist and is also made by the Eucharist, so without priests we are nothing.

We need more, happy and holy priests:

joyful in proclaiming the Risen Christ;
close to Him in prayer;
being there for people as good shepherds;
and mediating God’s mercy to all.


We need priests who are:

humble and faithful;
ready to lead and serve;
ready to sanctify through prayer and sacrament;
ready to preach and teach, not just any opinion, but the
living words of Jesus Christ in the teachings of His Church.


We need priests alive with Christ and giving their all.

No comments: