Monday, October 05, 2009

Being a Suco

Reading recently about prayer..as this reading fits in with the unit I am studying, on Christian prayer.
You know how, sometimes, when one is reading, certain phrases or words seem to jump out ?

This happened to me. Sitting at the orthodontist, waiting for Anthony, while he was having his braces fitted, I read.

Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Luke 1:42. St Luke notes that Elizabeth gave this greeting with a loud cry. Luke 1:41.

Can I emulate this generous and joyful spirit of Elizabeth? Am I even generous and joyful?

Sometimes.

My soul glorifies the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour.
He looks on his servant in her lowliness;
henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
The Almighty works marvels for me.
Holy his name!
His mercy is from age to age,
on Those who fear Him.
Luke 1:46-50

Mary expresses great joy in God. Her heart, her speech exemplifies praise, humility and gratitude.

What does my speech say about me?

Don't ask! I have been told that I offend others with my speaking-before-I-think...

I have been told that I am a Suco.

The Urban Dictionary lists Suco as a woman suffering from the Superwoman Complex (i.e. “She's a bit of a Suco; insisted on splitting the bill, wouldn't let me walk her home. I'm not dating her again”).

A woman with a Superwoman Complex works to do everything well, to prove she is smart, efficient, capable.

And, so I am informed, women like me offend others. Especially males.

Is this a particular problem of homeschooling mothers? Do we want to do it all, have it all, and do it all well? Homeschooling certainly attracts strong women. Or, perhaps, doing something different, against the mainstream, ie homeschooling, makes us strong women?

And are men really so fragile, as to be offended by we Sucos?

(I'm not really displaying that generous and humble spirit here, am I?)

On behalf of fellow homeschooling Sucos, I say Je Suis Desole..I am sorry.. to those I/we have offended...see I am even learning French with the kids!

And give us a break. We really aren't superwomen, we really are still working on things..including having that gentle and meek spirit.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth.

The meek are those who bear patiently all the contradictions of life, looking upon them as happening through God's Will or by His permission.
The meek shall have peace of heart and peace of life, loved and respected by all, and at death will "possess the earth" of the living, heaven.
Those are also meek who, though of a naturally fiery disposition, master their anger, impatience, or desires for revenge.
The meek man does not get angry or curse or seek revenge. He forgives his enemies, and even wins them by gentle words. He imitates Christ, Who said: "Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart" (Matt. 11: 29).
My Catholic Faith

Homeschooling our children while homeschooling ourselves.

No comments: