Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Strewing their paths...


Its that time of the week again. When we share our strewing.

My strewing this week had been both intentional and unintentional. 

Intentional strewing...strewing with a purpose or with forethought . 

This week it is a novel by Madeleine L'engle. A Wrinkle in Time. 

I first read this at age twelve. I have read it aloud to classes I have taught. I have read it aloud to some of my kids and others  have read it themselves.

Except Anthony. Who is sporadically studying physics, with occasional use of a Saxon Physics text and occasional reading of Six Easy Pieces by Dr Richard Feynman. 

His interest is not high. Hence sporadic study. So I thought A Wrinkle in Time would be a good complement. Physics related literature and a darn good story. L'engle is a talented storyteller. And it just happens to be the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of A Wrinkle in Time this year!

Unintentional strewing? Strewing and sparks that happen in every day life, almost serendipitously. 

Watching episodes of series one of Fringe, a Christmas gift. The science of the weird, of cloning, of regeneration and a FBI story to boot.

Fits in well with A Wrinkle in Time, doesn't it?

5 comments:

Grace said...

We just read this book back in. November because the play was being performed at the Children's theater. We all loved the book....the play, not so much. Great strewing!

Hopewell said...

Sounds like a good fit to me! Strewing here has been, well, nil. But by not harping on him to pick up the profanity laden book I got him for Christmas I did get to have Patrick join me in my room for a toasty read under the covers when he was finally bored enough to read it! Then he wouldn't put it down! So, I guess "The Whore of Akron: One Man's Search for the Soul Of LeBron James" counts as strewing then, right?

Simply Homeschooled said...

Definatly a good fit! I will have to checkout the "wrinkle in time" I have never read it but sounds like something me and my 13 year old son would really enjoy!

LOL @ Hopewell I suppose it would count!

Leonie said...

Love A Wrinkle in Time! Grace, Lisa told me that there was a movie made based on the book and that it's not bad it's not available in my library but I put a used copy on my Amaxon wish list... Maybe Mother's Day! Lisa, I think the snuggling under covers and reading sounds fantastic!

Leonie said...

And I think your 13 year old will like it!