Saturday, March 25, 2006

Anarchy


Well, its not that we live in a home of anarchy - but then, again,maybe it depends on your definition of anarchy.

My computer dictionary defines anarchy as
1. lack of formal government
or
2. a chaotic situation.

Although we sometimes look like definition 2 above, in reality we have many little routines and pegs to our day - and , as for me, my To Do list is my informal government.

This informal government also rises from our daily and weekly meetings and our spouse and child dates. So, we may appear to have a lack of formal government but we have lots of informal direction and leadership.

And, as Christians and Catholics, we have the guidance of formal, sacred governance.

Why this talk of governance and anarchy?

Jonathon and I noticed billboard posters for a new film with Viggo Mortenson ( or Aragorn, the chick magnet, as Anthony has labelled him!).

Jonathon did a search for the film - V for Vendetta. Apparently small groups of anarchists have been handing out leaflets at showings of the film - they feel that it is a film in support of anarchy.

I commented that, sadly, today's anarchists seem to be depressed and desolate - to them, anarchy seems to mean not only a chaotic situation but also death and destrution, with no hope for the future.

This would make Kropotkin turn in his grave.

Thus followed a long discussion between Alexander, Jonathon and I on Kropotkin and anarchy. Kroptokin was a Russian anarchist who gave up his royal rights and believed in anarchy as a system of no national formal government. Instead, he believed in the strength of rural communites - each setting their own parameters and learning to live in harmony.

One of my older sons, Greg, has read some of Kropotkin, after we watched the old movie Sneakers - Donald Sutherland plays a character who knows a group of French anarchists and who "talks Kropotkin."

I have been interested in the concept of anarchy since the original release of the Sex Pistols song Anarchy in the UK. ( deep dark secret time)

Yet, I feel that that Kropotkin's idea of anarchy is unrealistic. I gave the example last night to the boys of the unhealthy government portrayed in the small community of the film The Village.

I am not an anarchist.

We are not anarchists.

Our family is not anarchial.

But the discussion has been good!

No comments: