Saturday, September 01, 2007

Two good posts on learning.

In the first, a parent discusses the fact that his daughter does not want to return to school - after only two days of kindergarten. He posts a reply from Fr. George Rutler ~

The only real university is the universe and a city its microcosm. That is why an expression like "New York University" is foolish. New York City is the university….Instead of school, children should spend some hours each day in hotel lobbies talking to the guests. They should spend time in restaurant kitchens and shops and garages of all kinds, learning from people who actually make the world work….One day spent roaming through a real classical church building would be the equivalent of one academic term in any of our schools, and a little time spent inconspicuously in a police station would be more informative than all the hours wasted on bogus social sciences. My Wife Takes a Rather Different View

The second post gives us a glimpse into the unschooling/homeschooling life of a mother of two ~

Sometimes I feel like a failure as a homeschooler. I'm not doing it right. Heck, I'm not sure I'm even doing it at all. We call ourselves homeschoolers because we have to account for the fact that our kids aren't enrolled in school. So homeschoolers we are, but it doesn't feel like homeschooling is what we do. We don't play at teaching and learning, we just do it. The way I homeschool feels like an extension of household management. I notice what my children need, try to predict what they might like, and I do my best to provide it for them. It's like running your kitchen -- you notice when you're running out of milk and buy more of it. You can also see what's been sitting on the pantry shelf for months and donate it to a shelter or throw it away. Maybe you look through a cookbook and decided to try a recipe that looks good. How hard is that? Keeping a well-stocked home library is easy for me and shopping for workbooks or other "educational materials" is, well, shopping, and I like to shop.
Autumnal Anxiety

Pretty much the way I homeschool - like I shop or cook
(and since I hardly cook, but do spend a lot of time with my kids and at the shops, - well, you get the idea! lol!).

No comments: